Some Notable Queenslanders who are on the record as having seen the Stradbroke Galleon"
The first historic person we have on record as seeing the galleon is the Hon. J.E.Stevens Queensland MLA & MLC . Records state he was taken to the wreck in the 1860's or 70's by an Aboriginal woman in his employ when he owned a cattle run on Stradbroke Island.
In the 1880's the son of the first white settler on Russel Island, Willliam Willes and his friend Ivan Bond, discovered the remains of the ship in the swamp and reported it to their family.
In 1894 the Colonial Secretary of Queensland the Honorable George Appel, his secretary Isabel Hannah and friend Matthew Heeb inspected the Stradbroke Island shipwreck from a hill over looking the 18 Mile Swamp. Read the first hand account of their expedition in the book.
In the early 1920's Jim Bryce went into the Eighteen Mile Swamp with Southport boat builder Tony Street to strip timber off the remains of the shipwreck in the 18 Mile Swamp near Swan Bay. Was it the Stradbroke Island Galleon? Read his account and recollections of his visit to this mysterious shipwreck.
Also in the 1920's Frank Boyce, builder, was shown the remains of the wreck by Aboriginal friends, he stated that the remains were definitely European oak.
In 1934 Dr George "Boy" Young, with a group of Rover Scouts, found the Stradbroke Island Spanish Galleon after a fire had swept through the 18 Miles Swamp. He and his friends all took things off the shipwreck. Doctor Young took a sailor's dirk, the other scouts took such things as coins and other items. A photograph of the dirk found by Dr. Young appears in the book and is one of the collection of images on the CD.
In the same year, 1934, Jim Walker found the wreck on his third expedition into the swamp on Stradbroke Island. He retrieved an iron "roved" bolt and some timber from the ancient shipwreck. Read Jim's account of his expedition to Stradbroke Island and see an exact tracing, by architect Duncan McFee, of the roved bolt he retrieved from the shipwreck.
In the 1940's Doctor Eric Reye, after speaking with Isabel Hannah and getting directions to the location of the Stradbroke Island Galleon, traveled by canoe to Swan Bay, Jumpinpin and Slipping Sands to search for the Stradbroke Island Galleon; read his detailed first hand account of the four days he spent searching for the shipwrecked galleon.
In WW2 Captain Cyril Broome, RAAF bomber pilot and trainer, who also flew along the S.E. Queensland coast as a submarine spotter, regularly saw the remains of the "galleon" in the 18 Mile Swamp and showed his son Ivan on a map approximately where it was. A clear copy of the map is on the CD of the 'e' book.
A Serious Galleon Hunter: Duncan McFee
There have been a lot of people who have become interested in the Stradbroke Island Galleon story over the years, most go for a trip into the !8 Mile Swamp (or more often to its edge) and never go back again. Some persist and by fluke or fate they find it and some keep on trying, time and time again, braving snakes, mosquitoes and many other hardships, certain that one day they will locate the elusive shipwreck.
Duncan McFee is one of these. Duncan has been searching for the Stradbroke Island Galleon since the 1950's and has been instrumental in locating and preserving for history the accounts of two important wreck finds by Jim Walker and "Boy" Young. Duncan, an architect, also very accurately traced the roved bolt removed from the wreck by Jim walker in 1934 and now lost. Duncan also ensured the dirk found by "Boy" Young would not be lost to history.
As well as being a brilliant architect, Duncan McFee is a vast repository of galleon lore and has a great collection of maps which he guards.